inspireblog

This is the place to talk about what God is doing, what can be learned from Scripture, or how one may live a more spiritual life, in practical terms.

Name:
Location: Pomona, California, United States

Friday, June 06, 2008

Thke High Dive

Witnessing and The High Dive

Here's a little background to my diving experience. I learned to dive off my grandmother's dock into shallow water. The first few attempts ended painfully. So I put on a tee shirt to soften the sting. Before long I was able to do it without "belly-flops".

Then came a swimming pool with a high dive, how intimidating! Others were going off in quick fashion, so I had to face this rite of passage. The boards always look higher when you're up there then it did from the deck, and the board was so narrow. I mustered my courage and walked out. There I stood. I didn't want to look like a "chicken" by climbing down so there was only one way to go. "Just do it" I said to myself.

"No wait a minute, myself replied.

"Kids are coming up the ladder, you better do it!" I thought. So I did. I stepped off and I lived to talk about it. In fact it was fun. I jumped off many more times, it was great.

Then came the next challenge, "Dive off, Chicken," yelled my brother, who hadn't yet himself.

Oh boy, the pain I experienced when I first learned to dive was magnified by the 15 feet between me and the water. "Okay, here goes," I said, and did it. Before I knew it I was in the water and I survived it. Besides that I found out this was, by far, more fun!

I relate this story as a basis for overcoming the fear that keeps us from what we can do. I want to apply it to all the excuses you may have for not witnessing. Stop believing those excuses and do it.

So, here are four levels of growth in witnessing using my diving experience.

To start, we need to be able to talk to people. This is like jumping into the shallow water. The ban on talking to strangers is reserved for young children, not adults. Try starting by saying something friendly to someone. Try to avoid the "how ya' doing?" opening. Use something open ended, like "It look like you're having a good day..." Speak to what you see in the others body language.

The next stage is to engage them in conversation. People usually like to talk about themselves, so give them an opportunity to do that. Be a good listener! This is about as scary as diving off the first time. It won't be smooth, but don't give up. I will become easier with experience. Keep getting that experience.

The third level is compared to jumping off the high dive. As you converse with people draw out additional information so you may understand their lives better. It's important to remember here to avoid being shocked by what you may find out, and to also avoid being judgmental or condemning.

At the end of this is the final level. Once you've engaged people and have an understanding, then comes the "head first dive off high board." Offer them God's wisdom. Share what you've found to be true. Tell them you understand (if in fact you do) and how you can see their present situation. Especially if you have been there too and how God has made a difference in your life. This makes for a great connection.

Once you've "been there and done that" you will realize a joy that surpasses "keeping silent". You'll want to do it again and again.

Confess your fears, name them one by one. Rely on God's presence and see what He can do with you. You will move to the next level.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home